Monday 5 December 2011

Beautiful India

As part of the residency here in India, I’ve been focusing my research on beauty ideals and the effects of globalization in this field. Due to the large importation of foreign products and advertisements, the beauty industry here seems to be huge, changing and expanding. Although for my research I am specifically interested in how globalization and the importation of foreign ideals is shaping perceptions of beauty, I wanted to explore some traditional forms that seem to be resisting such effects.


Henna design with dye


Excited for my henna (mehndi) process to begin!

In pursuit of some authentic Indian beauty practices, I happened across an ideal opportunity to take part in the traditional art of mehndi (or henna as it is commonly referred too).  Mehndi is practiced in many places but as I learned, is believed to have originated here in India. Practiced in many cultures, it can include a multitude of patterns and meanings including Arabic, Hindi and Muslim. In an effort to learn more about this, three of us (Dawn, Sondra and I) made appointments to have some traditional mehndi.


The process begins with a pattern laid beside my arm and is used as a guide


Dawn's Arabic-influenced mehndi begins





 We were able to find some mehndi artists at the beauty salon Neomi’s here in Goa at the village of Calangute. Since I am particularly focused on beauty ideals in India while here, I asked for a traditional Indian henna on both hands but Sondra and Dawn both opted for some beautiful Arabic designs. One of the key differences between the two, as it turned out, is the asymmetrical pattern of the Arabic design which looked like a chain wrapped around the arm, wrist, and hand. The traditional design I had however, covered the entirety of my hands, wrists and up my arms a little ways. 


First hand is well under way 

Two artists worked on my design, an apprentice and teacher

Dawn's beautiful mehndi almost finished on the first hand

Hand one all complete! You have to leave the dye to dry, harden and allow the colour to deepen for many hours before you can take it off


It took just over two hours with two girls working on my both of my hands to complete the art, and what an art it was. Watching these two young ladies work so intricately together to create these delicate and beautiful designs was truly an incredible art form to witness and creates such an appreciation for the work being done.  My design was apparently a combination of both Hindu and Muslim designs blended together.  In Goa, it is traditionally only the women who get mehndi and it is usually reserved for special occasions. The biggest event is receiving one’s bridal henna, but it is also common for girls and women to have some work done before big events and celebrations.


Hand one for me almost complete

Hand one finished - moving on to the second

Two full hours of meticulous effort by these two incredibly talented ladies went into this process

Team work was essential!

The finished look, after the dye had been rubbed off, the next day once the colour had deepened.  It was amazing how the detail still shone through and how the colour differed depending on the type of skin. For some reason, the colour on the hand was far more vibrant than the wrist where the whole process actually began.

Beautiful.

When asked, the artists revealed that mehndi is about enhancing beauty – not for fashion. This is a sentiment that I can completely agree with. Being the canvas for this art and watching the entire process made me appreciate the work and design so very much.  

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful memories!
    I was surprised by how many people noticed and commented on my mehndi when I was in India. It was beautiful and it made me feel beautiful, too. I was able to show it to Pete when I got home because it was still visible, but it didn't feel as beautiful because so few people here recognized it as a symbol of beauty and celebration. I felt like I should cover it up instead of show it off, which made me feel sad. And although I was happy to be home, missed India even more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely relate! You could still see the mehndi a bit when I returned home, it was faint but definitely still visible. Every time I looked down at my hands it made me feel so nostalgic for India. I remember that it was when it had almost completely disappeared that I felt like being in India was so far away and that this last little connection had vanished.

    ReplyDelete