Tuesday 15 November 2011

Gandhi and Pampering


Beginning our residency in Ahmedabad this week, the influence of Gandhi in this area has been a re-occurring experience. Gujarat, the state in which Ahmedabad is situated in, is the birth place of Mahatma Gandhi and holds a special place in the events that took place during his lifetime. After Gandhi left South Africa where he worked as a young man, he returned to his home state and took residence in the city of Ahmedabad. Ahmedabad, which is known as being a leader in development, continues to try and realize a Gandhian vision of empowerment for its people.






Yesterday, we had the great opportunity to visit the ashram and university Gandhi established during his time here. Among the many profound insights this visionary was able to contribute to humanity, one has stood out as particularly relevant to my context right now. When we were at Vidyapith, the university he created, the idea of consumption was touched upon in relation to the levels of comfort we’ve become accustomed too. Back in 1909, Gandhi himself made the point that we were “pampering” our bodies. In this day and age, what does “pampering our bodies” mean though and what did it mean then?


At the ashram, Gandhi's bedroom as it actually was

When I first heard this, I immediately knew I was guilty of such indulgence as I do “pamper” myself in many different ways to achieve the state of comfort I've become accustomed to and quite thoroughly enjoy. Being in India just over a week now, it is hard not to notice how little there is for some and how much there is for a few. Coming here as a tourist, I realize how much “stuff” I've brought or gathered along the way (products, medications, electronics, clothing, etc.) as well as all that I have access to, to make sure that I feel comfortable. At the time, everything felt like a necessity, but now I wonder.




Further speculation to this wondering was sparked this evening when we visited the local non-government organization “Centre for Environment and Education” (CEE).  The idea of consumption and development was probed even deeper and placed in a global context that helped bring this idea of “pampering” and comfort into a larger perspective. Essentially there lies the inevitable problem, which we must eventually face, surrounding the fact that ideas of “development” which circulate around the world are not sustainable. This is a critical problem because those who are considered “developed” are living far beyond what is sustainable for our planet and those who aspire to be “developed” want this too.




Beautifully sensuous and artful displays of welcome for us at Gujarat University

Having this global context of sustainability now provided, I find myself coming back to what Gandhi said over a century ago – we are pampering our bodies. In North American lifestyles, there's a portrayal and expectation of indulgence. If we are to set ourselves out a sustainable path however, in what ways would it be possible to reduce our impact on the planet back and would this require less “pampering”? Given the current population being over 7 billion, we should individually be living with a “footprint” of less than 1.8 hectares – Asia currently falls within this but North American’s are utilizing over 8 hectares to allow for our lifestyles. Is it possible then for us to kick some habits and reduce to a sustainable level?


Gandhi's final resting place in Delhi

A few of his many daily visitors

Being a person who knows that I do pamper myself and have expectations of being “comfortable”, what parts would need to changed, altered or given up completely in order to start actualizing such sustainability as well as continue in the Gandhian vision of empowerment? Is this idea of indulgence and “pampering” ourselves to the extremes that we do even the culprit to our disproportionate lifestyles?  What do you think?


8 comments:

  1. Being in this context certainly makes me more aware of all the things that I usually take for granted. Even eating meat seems like a luxury. But there are small things too, like toilet paper (soft toilet paper, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are having an amazing time Kelly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. People at the office are having a hard time posting on here, please post better insructions. I don't have any idea why I can post but others can't.
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tweaked the security settings and it should be open for everyone to comment now!! Hopefully its working :) Can't wait to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelly
    Sounds like you are having a very interesting trip. What a nice welcome for you! Are they flower petals? They have some pretty incredible buildings for a place that laments creature comforts. Don`t you find that a bit contradictory? After reading your comments about creature comforts, I went through my closet and gave away several boxes of clothing. (It is my intent not to replace them over time - let's hope I can keep to that commitment.) I think I will start reducing elsewhere as well. (Small steps) Thanks for the push!
    I have to say, when it got to -12 degrees last night, I was awful happy about having a nice warm bed and a working furnace!
    I find myself looking for you in the photos (it is like looking for Waldo because unless you are front and center, I have not been able to find you in many.) Are you feeling safe and well?
    Looking forward to more updates on your travels.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. well so far on your eastern adventure It looks like you are gaining immense traveling experience, and much worldly knowledge. Keep up all the good work love, couldn't be any more proud of you.
    -Jason

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to be hearing from everyone now with these comments!!

    So far the trip has been amazing - its incredible how warmly we've been welcomed everywhere we've gone. Im actually going to add more on this in the next day or two because its quite astonishing!

    At the university, those are flower petals they've put out on display for us. The intricacy of it all was really something!

    Jan, thats so nice to hear that my comments helped inspire you to donate some of your extra clothing! Being here has made me think so much about all of the material possessions and things that I have so I've been trying to think of changes that hopefully I'll be able to implement too once I'm back! I'll try to add some more pictures with me in them too ;) I'm usually taking them but we do take turns with each others cameras.

    So far I have been feeling great (knock on wood) and actually quite safe overall. I haven't really felt like I was in any danger here although there is definitely a higher level of consciousness of our surroundings and how we stick out and add to them.

    Talk soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It feels so good to hear from you ........., it's been almost a week but it feels like months, daily would be nice. It was wonderful to hear your voice last night but it sounded like we were talking in a tunnel and so far away. Love the pictures, take more with you in them, it's amazing to actually see you there.
    Travel Safe my dear, Love you Mom

    ReplyDelete