Thursday 3 November 2011

Getting Ready!

Leaving for India in less than three days... I'm now beginning to pack and am completely unsure as to what I'll need. This will be my first time out of Canada for anything more than a week-long vacation. Trying to wrap my mind around our pre-residency readings and assignments has been daunting enough but trying to figure out what the "travel essentials" are has turned out to be the more challenging task. How does a person know they are equipped with all the tools they may need for a trip abroad?



Apart from trying to figure out how many t-shirts or pairs of underpants will be adequate, I'm left with this troubling uncertainty that goes along with inexperience. Having never pushed myself in such a way, not only am I left without savvy travel tips and tricks, I'm also in a position of having no frame of reference to prepare myself for what I'm about to land into too. On Monday at 11:30pm I'll be arriving in Delhi, hopefully to the view of my hotel shuttle waiting for me. For my first few days in Delhi, it seems I will also be without a travel companion, so personal boundaries will almost certainly be pushed!

Any tips for thriving and surviving in India for this first-time lone traveller?

4 comments:

  1. My suggestion: bring little! My bag was a third full when I left and I have all that I need. 5 pairs underwear, 3 pairs socks, one pair pants (buy more when here), a few shirts with sleeves (avoid dark colours, more so for the mozzies than the heat), school stuff, bug repellent, towel, drugs (ie anti-malaria, anti-Delhi Belly etc), sunscreen, hand sanitizer, handi-wipes, some kind of hair tamer (the humidity, dear lord), a fresh outlook and strong intuitive skills. Safe travels! Looking forward to meeting in person ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips!! I'll definitely need to go through what I've packed so far and reconsider some things. This will be a good check-list for me so I don't go overboard! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just checking up on you to make certain that you actually got on your flight. I am really excited for you and hope that while you attend to your academic duties that you get to experience the culture as well. As I was googling popular drinks in India I learned that although alcohol consumption is widespread, drinking alcohol is not socially accepted in many Indian ethnic cultures. And is also forbidden to women in most cultures. So, with that said, when possible, try a fenny, toddy, bhang, or chhaang for me! Miss ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the heads up V!! I'm going to write down each of these requests (fenny, toddy, bhang or chhanng) and see what I can do for you ;)Hopefully a few appropriate moments will present themself, I'm thinking in Goa for sure though.

    The flights were long but great and even more wonderful was the fact my bags actually made it here as well!! Going to be going on some day tours tomorrow and Thursday so will likely have some great stories and new insights to share!

    Miss you! :)

    ReplyDelete